Yoga with Chris is down to earth yoga – to help us get through life, whatever it throws at us!
Yoga with Chris came about when my sons were very little and my husband was made redundant. Yoga teaching, which I had taken up to give my brain something to do while looking after the children, suddenly had to provide our family with a livelihood.
But I knew I had something to offer. From my own experience I knew that our relationships with our bodies are not always happy ones and that the way we feel in our bodies can have a huge effect on the rest of our lives.
Yoga had helped me heal and recover from childbirth and the sleep-deprived years of early motherhood; it helped me deal with occasional back and neck ache and to find a little calm in what could often be a sea of stress.
Through yoga I knew it was possible to begin to feel at home in our bodies, to nourish and look after ourselves – and by being stronger and more resilient physically and mentally, we can take better care of the people we look after.
Twelve years later, I’ve helped hundreds of people – both in the community and in prison – practise yoga with awareness and kindness towards themselves, through the many changes our bodies go through and the challenges life throws at us.
Through Yoga with Chris, kind and supportive communities have developed (some temporary over the course of weekend or a short course, some longer lasting over years of attending classes together). Several students have gone on to be yoga teachers themselves.
In 2020, prompted by Coronavirus lockdown, Yoga at Home began with live and recorded sessions helping people all over the country to find strength, calm and connection through practical classes in yoga, relaxation and meditation.
- Hatha yoga teacher training, Amrita School of Yoga (2008)
- Therapeutic Yoga Intensive, Susie Hately (2011)
- Yoga, The Brain and Mental Health, The Minded Institute (2012)
- Relax and Renew teacher of Restorative Yoga, Judith Lasater (2013)
- Yoga Nidra Foundation teacher training, Uma Dinsmore-Tuli (2013)
- Teaching Yoga in Prison, Prison Phoenix Trust (2014)
- Yoga for post-natal and menopause, Uma Dinsmore-Tuli (2015)
- Yoga Therapy and Mindfulness for Addictions, The Minded Institute (2016)
- Embodied Yoga Principles teacher training (2019)
- BA (Hons) Eng Lit University of Newcastle Upon Tyne (1987)
- Post-grad diploma (newspaper) journalism, City University (1988)